What is in this article?:
- Article 505: Zone Locations
- SIDEBAR: Division vs. Zone
Article 505 requirements provide an alternative to the Division system outlined in Art. 501
SIDEBAR: Division vs. Zone
The NEC provides more precise and detailed definitions of Divisions and Zones, but this thumbnail comparison will help you understand the essential differences.
In the Division classification system [501.5(B)], combustibles are present under:
• Normal conditions: Div. 1.
• Abnormal conditions: Div. 2:
In the Zone classification system [505.5(B)], combustibles are:
• Present continuously or for long periods: Zone 0.
• Likely to be present or are frequently (but not continuously) present under normal conditions: Zone 1.
• Present only under abnormal conditions or only for short periods: Zone 2.