What is in this article?:
- Safety and Compliance of Fire-Resistive Cable Products
- SIDEBAR 1: Where Are These SystemsTypically Located?
- SIDEBAR 2: Recommendations for Buildings/Structures with Installed Systems or Systems That are Awaiting Sign-Off
Why UL removed the listing for all FR cable products used in listed electrical circuit protective systems and what that means to you
SIDEBAR 1: Where Are These SystemsTypically Located?
Fire-resistive, fire-resistant, and circuit integrity cables are primarily installed in mixed occupancy high-rise buildings, tunnels, bridges, and other commercial infrastructures. In many circumstances, the referenced systems exist in conjunction with other fire mitigation system options, which are not in question. Within a building or structure, the locations of these fire-resistive circuit cable systems are typically found as part of the following life safety installations:
• Fire pump-feeder/controls
• Smoke control equipment
• Command center critical systems
• Pressurized stairway systems
• Smoke management systems
• Fire alarm systems
• Electrical equipment rooms - feeders/service
• Emergency generators and standby power systems
Source: Underwriters Laboratories (UL)