According to the 2008 NEC, who is permitted to service the control systems in a permanent amusement attraction? Hint: Have you reviewed the requirements of new Art. 522?

  1. Qualified persons only.
  2. Any mechanic or maintenance person using insulated tools and equipment.
  3. Electricians of any experience level.
  4. Experienced electricians and engineers who are licensed by their state or local government to design, inspect and maintain electrical systems.

Answer: A

As per 522.7, "The conditions of maintenance and supervision shall ensure that only qualified persons service the permanent amusement attractions." The NEC defines a qualified person as "one who has the skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of the electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training to recognize and avoid the hazards involved."

Owen is the owner and president of National Code Seminars and the holder of master electrician certifications in 46 states. He can be reached at