Q. When bonding a swimming pool perimeter surface, where structural reinforcing steel is encapsulated in a nonconductive compound, the following conditions apply:
- the conductor shall follow the contour of the perimeter surface
- only listed splices shall be permitted
- the required conductor shall be 18 to 24 inches from the inside walls of the pool
- the required conductor shall be secured within or under the perimeter surface (4 to 6 inches) below the subgrade, and
- the minimum conductor size and type shall be _____________.
- minimum 8 AWG, tinned, stranded copper
- minimum 8 AWG, bare, solid copper
- minimum 8 AWG, covered, stranded copper
- minimum 6 AWG, solid copper
As per 680.26(B)(2) of the 2008 NEC, the minimum conductor size and type in this situation shall be 8 AWG, bare, solid copper.
Owen is the owner and president of National Code Seminars and the holder of master electrician certifications in 46 states. He can be reached at email@example.com.