Winners of the seventh annual Lighting for Tomorrow competition were announced recently at the American Lighting Association (ALA) Annual Conference in Palos Verdes, Calif. Organized by the ALA, Dallas; the Consortium for Energy Efficiency (CEE), Boston; and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), the competition aims to increase market acceptance and awareness of energy-efficient lighting by recognizing the best designed energy-efficient lighting products in the residential market.
Twenty-six companies submitted 43 solid-state lighting (SSL) models incorporating light-emitting diodes (LED). The SSL division of the competition was expanded this year to include a wider range of applications. A panel of 11 judges from various areas of the lighting industry evaluated the entries based on color appearance, color rendering, efficiency, innovation, and other criteria.
The judges selected two Grand Prize winners:
- Cree LED Lighting High-Output 6 in. Downlight
- Philips Color Kinetics eW Cove Powercore
- Light distribution: MaxLite LED Architect Flat Panel
- Versatility: Lightolier Calculite Solid-State
- Ease of Installation: Creative Systems Lighting Eco Counter
- High Efficiency: Cree LED Lighting High Efficacy Six Inch Downlight
- Technical Innovation: Cree LED Lighting SSL Track Fixture