Five requirements apply when connecting equipment to the electrical supply [80.25(A) – (E)]:

  1. If permit-required work was done without a permit (or as otherwise provided under 80.25), you can't connect the installation to an electrical supply. The illegal work is one offense, connecting it is yet another. To resolve unpermitted work that is complete, contact the AHJ.
  2. The AHJ can extend special permission for temporary power to supply specific needs of a construction project.
  3. The permit should include an expiration date for the inspection window. If yours doesn't, contact the permit issuer. Once the time limit (normally X number of business days) expires, your supplying utility can connect to the electrical supply if the electrical inspector hasn't disapproved the installation. The utility may conduct its own inspection.
  4. If the facility is located where an electrical inspector hasn't been authorized or there's an inspector but the inspection isn't required, the supplying utility can connect to the electrical supply.
  5. The supplying utility is required to report illegal (e.g., uninspected) installations to the chief electrical inspector. The problems resulting from such a situation can seriously delay start-up. Have the inspection and permit documents in proper order before the utility comes out to connect.