With a year-to-date total of $2,925.12 million, 2013 U.S. manufacturing technology order are down 7.2% compared with 2012.
July U.S. manufacturing technology orders totaled $351.21 million according to the Association for Manufacturing Technology (AMT). This total, as reported by companies participating in the USMTO program, was down 23.6% from June and down 23.6% when compared with the total of $459.44 million reported for July 2012. With a year-to-date total of $2,925.12 million, 2013 is down 7.2% compared with 2012.
These numbers and all data in this report are based on the totals of actual data reported by companies participating in the USMTO program.
“This muted order activity is not atypical for summer months, and is concurrent with other monthly readings that indicated a drop in durable goods orders and a flat industrial production index. Despite this seasonal dip, however, the bigger picture for manufacturing remains positive,” said AMT President Douglas K. Woods. “It’s important to note that in regional USMTO activity, the Northeast and West regions are at their highest average and year-to-date values in 15 years, thanks to the precision parts and aerospace industries. Meanwhile, the PMI posted its third consecutive monthly gain. We anticipate a continued pattern of modest but sustained growth through the end of 2013.”
The United States Manufacturing Technology Orders (USMTO) report, compiled by the trade association representing the production and distribution of manufacturing technology, provides regional and national U.S. orders data of domestic and imported machine tools and related equipment. Analysis of manufacturing technology orders provides a reliable leading economic indicator as manufacturing industries invest in capital metalworking equipment to increase capacity and improve productivity.
U.S. manufacturing technology orders are also reported on a regional basis for six geographic breakdowns of the United States.
- Northeast Region manufacturing technology orders in July totaled $73.72 million, up 4.5% when compared with June’s $70.56 million and 9.7% higher than the total for July 2012. With a year-to-date total of $482.22 million, 2013 is up 3.6% when compared with 2012 at the same time.
- July manufacturing technology orders in the Southeast Region totaled $34.95 million, down 34.7% when compared with June’s $53.53 million and off 30.9% from the July 2012 figure. At $272.75 million, the 2013 year-to-date total is 16.2% lower than the 2012 total at the same time.
North Central-East Region
- North Central-East Region manufacturing technology orders in July stood at $82.15 million, down 33.5% from June’s $123.56 million and 25.0% less than the total for July 2012. The $747.12 million year-to-date total is 7.3% lower than the comparable figure for 2012.
North Central-West Region
- Manufacturing technology orders in the North Central-West Region in July totaled $57.30 million, down 32.5% when compared with June’s $84.93 million and off 27.6% when compared with the July 2012 total. At $554.93 million, 2013 year-to-date is 3.0% lower than the total for 2012 at the same time.
South Central Region
- South Central Region manufacturing technology orders totaled $58.05 million in July, down 12.1% from the $66.04 million tallied in June and down 14.9% when compared with July 2012. The year-to-date total of $444.25 million is 21.1% lower than the comparable figure for 2012.
- At $45.04 million, July manufacturing technology orders in the West Region were down 26.5% when compared with the $61.27 million total for June and down 46.9% when compared with July a year ago. With a year-to-date total of $423.85 million, 2013 is up 1.0% when compared with 2012 at the same time.