GFCI for Wet Location

3 replies [Last post]
user-1088882's picture
Joined: 2016-11-30

My topic is brought to me from our Plant Engineer. Our Sanitation wants to turn all of our plant areas (i.e., processing and warehouse) into a wet area by installing water hose drops with hoses stretching throughout the building. My questions are do we change all 120V receptacles to GFCIs or replace receptacle branch circuits with a GFI breaker? And since many of the areas have EMT conduit do we have to replace it with IMC or rigid conduit?

Jim Doody's picture
Joined: 2016-06-13

You may also want to look at upgrading your electrical system to NEMA 4, which would include receptacles, new conduit and lighting. The receptacles would require 6mA ground fault protection, either from a panel breaker or a receptacle.

sparky377's picture
Joined: 2013-10-07

I'm with Mr. Doody on this. Site unseen, I suspect your electrical systems (i.e., receptacles, lighting, feeders, panelboards, low-voltage equipment) are not installed in raceways and enclosures listed for use in wet locations. Unless you want to take the time and expense to rewire the entire plant as a wet location, Sanitation Department needs to be told NO by upper management. Simply explain the reason and cost to rewire the plant for wet locations, and don't forget to cite Code sections, and the Plant Manager will probably say no for you.

Alan G.'s picture
Joined: 2015-08-29

Perfectly said Sparky

Please or Register to post comments.

What you need to know?

1. Forum Rules 2. Forum Login


Featured Video

Join the Discussion on EC&M Talk
EC&M Learning Center

Connect With Us

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×