Circuit Overload?

2 replies [Last post]
JKC estimator's picture

I am an estimator for a light commercial / residential GC here in Flagstaff, AZ. I am assembling an estimate for a Garage /Shop for an existing client and he requested (18) quad receptacles but he only wants (2) circuits.  This just does not sound acceptable to me. I reviewed the IRC and found several supporting codes, but nothing concrete. Can you help me out? If he insists, I feel I should include a disclaimer to protect our company in case his kid plugs in 15 space heaters while he is out of town one weekend.

Thank you!

USS Hornet's picture

18 quads equals 36 duplex receptacles. Splitting this into two 20A branch circuits leaves 18 duplex receptacles per circuit.

Considering in-line or string connected receptacles, each receptacle would have a rating of 180VA. Multipy 18 duplex receptacles by 180VA and you get 3,240VA. Divide 3,240VA by 120V and you get 27A rating on a 20A branch circuit.

Each 20A branch circuit cannot exceed a total load of 16A. You figure out how many receptacles you need to eliminate to get to 16A per circuit.

You need to explain this to your client. I wouldn't violate the Code and compensate the violation with a "disclaimer". I would do the job right.

dkidd's picture

The 180VA per receptacle only applies to residential. There is no violation for the described installation. What the user does once you leave is beyond your control.

Please or Register to post comments.

What you need to know?

1. Forum Rules 2. Forum Login

Featured Video

Join the Discussion on EC&M Talk
EC&M Learning Center

Connect With Us

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×