Bonding and Grounding CSST

3 replies [Last post]
Donovanpb's picture

I have a buried propane tank that supplies gas to my furnace. Steel pipe exits the gas regulator and transitions to CSST inside the house. I want to bond and ground the steel gas pipe exiting the regulator in order to protect the interior CSST line from potential arc over issues should lightning strike in vicinity of my home.

It is impractical to try and run copper wire to the home's main grounding bus at the main panel. It makes sense to me to sink an independent 8 ft copper grounding rod and bond the steel gas line to it. Are there any electrical hazards that I'm not thinking of? And is there a minimum distance to offset the grounding rod from the steel gas line?

Thank you.
Paul

Thor_the_Electrician's picture

Consider first following this guidance.
www.csstsafety.com/Images/CSST-Direct-Bonding-Tech-Bulletin.pdf
Using existing Ufer grounds for foundations or concrete pads at least 10 ft by 10 ft that are nearby will add to the dispersion of lightning strikes. There must be enough of a path and all grounding systems and metal pipes must be bonded together. Years ago, I was involved with an industrial situation where a ground ring was installed in a machine shop. All the equipment was bonded to the ring, but the ring wasn't bonded to the electrical systems. I was tasked with bonding the two systems due to issues of stray voltage. When I made the final bonding connection, it drew an arc, and before I bonded the systems there was a seven volt differential.

user-846262's picture

Is the regulator at the tank or the house? How far is the tank from the house? How far is the regulator from the house grounding point?

sparky377's picture

You indicated the propane tank is buried. Is it steel? Is it direct buried? Is any part of the gas piping system above ground?

If the tank is steel and direct buried and the piping is buried, then you should not be worried about lightning as the items you are looking to bond together regarding lightning strikes are already in contact with the earth. Lightning strikes are not trying to reach your panelboard. The strike is trying to equalize the charge between cloud and soil. As long as your panelboard and service entrance are properly grounded in accordance with the NEC and your local utility's requirements then you are about as good as you're going to get.

As for connecting to the house panelboard ground bus, that is already accomplished via the equipment grounding conductor connected to your furnace. The same applies to your stove if it is connected to a receptacle. Of course this assumes you have grounding conductors to you appliances and receptacles outlets. If there are no equipment grounding conductors then that is where I would recommend spending your efforts.

Please or Register to post comments.

What you need to know?

1. Forum Rules 2. Forum Login

Featured Video

Join the Discussion on EC&M Talk
EC&M Learning Center

Connect With Us

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×