NEC Class 2 Power Source

2 replies [Last post]
docomo44's picture

Can anyone please let me know when must a Class 2 power source be used? I can find information as to the requirements of the Class 2 power source itself, or the Class 2 wiring, but couldn't find clear information on when they must be used in the first place.

sparky377's picture

I get the impression you are thinking of the issue backwards.

The NEC does not necessarily prescribe where a Class 2 Power Supply is required to be used. The NEC, in Art. 725, informs you what is and is not permitted in the way of wiring when using a Class 2 power supply. Same thing applies for Class 3 power supplies.

Where you may find use of a Class 2 or 3 power supply is in low-voltage systems such as fire alarm, security, audio, paging, intercom, nurse call, etc. The main advantage of these systems and their power-limited power supplies is the ability to route wiring without use of raceways.

docomo44's picture

Thank you for your comments to my inquiry. The ability to route wiring without use of raceways as written comes from the nature of the Class 2 source that it eliminate electrical shock hazard and fire hazard?

Please or Register to post comments.

What you need to know?

1. Forum Rules 2. Forum Login

Featured Video

Join the Discussion on EC&M Talk
EC&M Learning Center

Connect With Us

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×