Looking for Help on Webinar Talking Points

9 replies [Last post]
meby's picture

We're planning a future webinar on the topic of Bonding & Grounding. Do you have any suggestions on specific topics to focus on during this presentation? What electrical fundamentals create the most confusion for you in this area? What Code requirements give you the most trouble? 

engineerbill's picture

Actually, I'd like to volunteer to contribute material on a subject misunderstood by most electricians: how subtle changes in grounding and premises wiring methods can have profound effects on audio and video (even computer systems) noise problems ... all completely Code-compliant. I teach classes on the subject at conventions for AV system designers and installers and I'm widely recognized in that industry as an expert. There's no need for electricians to think of AV folks as lunatics - there's lots of technical misunderstanding (and myths) on both sides! - Bill Whitlock, president & chief engineer, Jensen Transformers, Inc., Audio Engineering Society Life Fellow and IEEE Life Senior

meby's picture

Hi there, engineerbill. If you're interested in helping us clear up confusion on this topic then feel free to submit an article abstract or outline to us via our Electrical Group email account: Electrical.Group@penton.com.

kendad's picture

Hello, I would like some clarification of a simple code question that I am looking up. Is there anyone there that would like to take this on?

kendad's picture

Okay, just read the rules. Here is the question. I am pretty sure this question is from the old 2005 code and now I sit here with a 2011 and looking up the same question. "Does the NEC allow the use of UF cable as a wiring method inside a dwelling?" Answer: Yes, Article 339-3(a)4; Now the code is Article 340.10, but I looked for the words or something to that effect in Article 300.5, 300.3 can't find the total answer. Am I even close? Don't know.

meby's picture

[quote=kendad]Okay, just read the rules. Here is the question. I am pretty sure this question is from the old 2005 code and now I sit here with a 2011 and looking up the same question. "Does the NEC allow the use of UF cable as a wiring method inside a dwelling?" Answer: Yes, Article 339-3(a)4; Now the code is Article 340.10, but I looked for the words or something to that effect in Article 300.5, 300.3 can't find the total answer. Am I even close? Don't know.[/quote]

Hi kendad. I'm pretty sure one of users would answer your question if you re-posted this as a "New Forum Topic" under the National Electrical Code category. Please go to this section of the forum (http://ecmweb.com/forums/electrical-101/national-electrical-code-nec) and then click the red button that says "New Forum Topic." Then, type a title in the subject box at the top of the page, copy and post your text summary above in the Body box, and scroll down to the bottom of the page and hit the Save button.
Thanks!
Mike

W A Werning's picture

[quote=meby]We're planning a future webinar on the topic of Bonding & Grounding. Do you have any suggestions on specific topics to focus on during this presentation? What electrical fundamentals create the most confusion for you in this area? What Code requirements give you the most trouble?[/quote]

Yes, include me in the webinar on bonding and grounding. There's a lot of confusion about Table 250.66, when to use and how to size.

W A Werning's picture

Hey, kendad, first thing to do is get a 2014 NEC book.

Yes, you can use type UF cable as a substitute for Romex (NM cable) per 340.10(4), but the rules for type NM, Article 334, must be followed including the ampacity limits in 334.80, which limit the final ampacity of size 12 AWG to 20 amperes from the 60 degree Celcius column of Table 310.15(B)(16), and other sizes, too.

Why use type UF?

mpeterworth's picture

I second engineerbill's comments about the need for clarification for electrician's regarding AV system grounding and bonding requirements.

You may also want to mention/reference Telecom system grounding.
http://ecmweb.com/bonding-amp-grounding/guidelines-grounding-and-bonding...

sparky377's picture

I spent a few years working for audiovisual contractors / system integrators and attended engineerbill's grounding seminar at InfoComm in 2007. Bill knows grounding, especially regarding audiovisual equipment, extremely well.

More importantly, regarding this thread, Bill made an important point about grounding and bonding in the communications industry. A lot of people do not understand the purpose or methods of correctly grounding and bonding AV equipment, especially AV techs. I can't count the number of times fellow employees at AV firms would tell me how the grounding MUST be done to eliminate hum in the audio circuits and I would cringe thinking someone is going to get seriously hurt, if not killed, doing things that way. Many AV techs still believe in "isolated grounds" and separate dedicated ground rods just like the computer equipment manufacturers and techs did years ago.

I would suggest any webinar on grounding explain the physics and engineering behind the Code requirements for grounding and bonding. The other suggestion would be to highlight the point that the system is grounded (i.e., connected to earth) for voltage stabilization, not because the soil is a conductor. In fact, soil is a very poor conductor compared to metal raceways and copper conductors.

Please or Register to post comments.

What you need to know?

1. Forum Rules 2. Forum Login

EC&M Learning Center

Newsletter Signup
Connect With Us

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×