The U.S. Census Bureau and the Department of Housing and Urban Development reveal June 2013 building permit and housing start statistics.
The U.S. Census Bureau and the Department of Housing and Urban Development jointly announced the following new residential construction statistics for June 2013:
· Privately owned housing units authorized by building permits in June were at a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 911,000. This is 7.5% (±1.0%) below the revised May rate of 985,000, but is 16.1% (±1.7%) above the June 2012 estimate of 785,000.
· Single-family authorizations in June were at a rate of 624,000; this is 0.6% (±1.2%)* above the revised May figure of 620,000.
· Authorizations of units in buildings with five units or more were at a rate of 261,000 in June.
· Privately owned housing starts in June were at a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 836,000. This is 9.9% (±11.4%)* below the revised May estimate of 928,000, but is 10.4% (±14.9%)* above the June 2012 rate of 757,000.
· Single-family housing starts in June were at a rate of 591,000; this is 0.8% (±11.0%)* below the revised May figure of 596,000.
· The June rate for units in buildings with five units or more was 236,000.
*90% confidence interval includes zero. The Census Bureau does not have sufficient statistical evidence to conclude that the actual change is different from zero.