One feature of computerized maintenance management systems (CMMSs) is the ability to capture information on inventories. Why is this useful? That depends on what inventory information you capture. Simply knowing what is leaving the stockroom helps you maintain stock minimums. However, wouldn't you also like to know:
- Where specific items are being used?
- The inventory appetite of each piece of equipment?
- The inventory usage for repairs, PMs, and upgrades (aggregate and specific)?
- The materials cost of a given PM?
- The costs of materials for repairs over the last quarter, in the aggregate and by specific equipment?