November U.S. manufacturing technology consumption totaled $318.18 million, according to a recent United States Manufacturing Technology Consumption (USMTC) report, a joint statistical program of the American Machine Tool Distributors’ Association (AMTDA) and the Association for Manufacturing Technology (AMT). The report is considered by many to be a leading indicator for America’s industrial base. This total, as reported by companies participating in the USMTC program, was down 17.7% from October but up 81.1% when compared with the total of $175.68 million reported for November 2009. With a year-to-date total of $2,792.58 million, 2010 is up 82.7% compared with 2009.*
U.S. manufacturing technology consumption is also reported on a regional basis for five geographic breakdowns of the United States:
- Northeast Region. Manufacturing technology consumption in the Northeast Region in November stood at $62.68 million, down 35.6% from October’s $97.37 million but up 92.2% when compared with the previous November’s total. With a year-to-date total of $523.86 million, 2010 was up 77.7% when compared with 2009 at the same time.
- Southern Region. Southern Region manufacturing technology consumption totaled $35.94 million in November, 9.8% less than October’s $39.83 million but 31.3% more than the November 2009 figure. At $384.77 million, 2010 year-to-date was 79.2% higher than the comparable figure a year earlier.
- Midwest Region. Manufacturing technology consumption in the Midwest Region in November stood at $111.07 million, off 4.7% when compared with October’s $116.50 million but 130.1% higher than the tally for the previous November. The year-to-date total of $855.38 million was 95.9% above the comparable figure for 2009.
- Central Region. November manufacturing technology consumption in the Central Region totaled $71.30 million, down 22.9% when compared with the $92.42 million total for October but up 48.5% when compared with November a year ago. The $722.78 million 2010 year-to-date total was 94.4% higher than the total for the same period the previous year.
- Western Region. At $37.19 million, November manufacturing technology consumption in the Western Region was 7.7% less than October’s $40.29 million but up 91.4% when compared with November 2009. The $305.79 million 2010 year-to-date total was 45.5% more than the 2009 total at the same time.
To download the full release and view the companion charts, visit www.amtonline.org.
*These numbers and all data in this report are based on the totals of actual data reported by companies participating in the USMTC program.