The following was submitted by Jon Christensen, HKP Technical Training and Development Technician for M&M Mars in Hackettstown, N.J.
“Joe, you have published many pictures of electrical safety hazards in CEE News, and I can remember hearing you say, It's a Code violation. I will never forget that, and I can hear you say it even today.
I took this picture in October 2001 in Oswego, N.Y., while watching my friend do some trout and salmon fishing on the Oswego River. I was taking in the scenery when I happened upon the telephone pole.
I couldn't believe my eyes, and I thought instantly of you. I could hear those words, ‘It's a Code violation!’ What you see pictured here is branch-circuit wiring coming from underground into the junction boxes, which were only about shoulder height. All of the splices were energized and very hot. The junction boxes were completely bypassed, and the circuits continued up to lighting on the pole above. Those wires could be easily be touched while standing on damp grass. Unbelievable!”
Editor's Note. This is a situation that can be found in many areas around the country. Calling the local utility, or building department about hazards like this one will usually get immediate results, or just send them to me and I will publish the complaint and the hazard here. See Section 110.2 Approval. “The conductors and equipment required or permitted by this Code shall be acceptable only if approved. FPN: See 90.7, Examination of Equipment for Safety, and 110.3, Examination, Identification, Installation, and Use of Equipment. See definitions of Approved, Identified, Labeled and Listed.”