What is in this article?:
- How Mobile Technology Is Changing Hiring and Recruiting Practices
- SIDEBAR 1: The World in Their Hands
- SIDEBAR 2: Faster-Pace World Demanding Quicker Hiring Decisions
How mobile and social media are changing the employment market for some electrical firms
SIDEBAR 1: The World in Their Hands
The numbers don’t lie — mobile technology is captivating users. Left to their own time-tested devices, employers may struggle to connect with today’s typical job hunter. In sync with today’s mobile-device culture, though, they’ll be in the hunt.
Slicing and dicing, market research is yielding statistics and insight that leave little doubt smartphones and tablet computers are proliferating. Moreover, they’re changing how we play, work, and increasingly, perhaps, find both work and workers.
• The inexorable rise of mobile devices: As of May, 56% of American adults own a smartphone and 34% own a tablet, according to Pew Research Center. The smartphone share of the mobile phone market grew by 11 points between 2011 and 2012. By 2015, more Americans will access the Web with mobile devices than with desktop/laptop computers, International Data Corp. predicts.
• Doing more with mobile: On a typical day, a third or more cellphone users use social media, play games, and check the news and weather, Pew found. A February report from market research firm, Nielsen, found 63% of Americans access social networking sites on mobile devices.
• Mobile and jobs are connecting: U.K. web domain, Jobsite, reports it had 2 million mobile visits in January, up from 366,000 in January 2011 — and that more than 8.5% of applications now come to the site via mobile. Almost 30% of the site’s traffic is mobile-generated.
• Apps rule: Working with downloaded “apps” takes up 80% of the average 2.38 hours the average mobile user spends daily with a device, says Flurry Analytics. The other 20% is spent navigating the web with a mobile browser.