Mike Holt

NEC Trainer / Consultant,
Mike Holt Enterprises

Mike earned a masters degree in the Business Administration Program (MBA) from the University of Miami. He earned his reputation as a National Electrical Code (NEC) expert by working his way up through the electrical trade. Formally a construction editor for two different trade publications, Mike started his career as an apprentice electrician and eventually became a master electrician, an electrical inspector, a contractor, and an educator. Since 1975, he has provided custom in-house seminars for groups such as IAEI, NECA, ICBO, IBM, AT&T, Motorola, and the U.S. Navy. Mike has taught more than 1,000 classes on 30 different electrical-related subjects — ranging from alarm installations to exam preparation and voltage drop calculations. He continues to develop seminars, videos, books, and software as well as contributing monthly Code content to EC&M magazine.

Code Q&A
Q. What is the smallest size wire you can use for a lighting fixture whip?
Stumped by the Code?
Q. Am I required to secure Type MC cable that is located under a raised floor of an information technology equipment room?
Fill Er Up
Raceways must be large enough to hold conductors without overheating and avoid insulation damage during conductor pulls. Therefore, we must determine the maximum number and size of conductors to put in a given raceway. That limit is what we mean by raceway fill.
Code Q&A 1
Q. What is the maximum number of bathroom receptacles that can be placed on the 20A, 120V bathroom receptacle circuit in a single-family dwelling?
Conductor Size Matters
The NEC provides minimum size requirements for conductors to prevent overheating and fire.
Code Quandaries | August 2008
Q. When adjusting the ampacity of a conductor due to conductor bundling, do we use the 90°C column ampacity or the 75°C column ampacity as listed in Table 310.16 for THHN?
Code Q&A
Q. Is the required working space for a panel measured from the panel guts inside the panel or from the panel cover?
Code Q&A
Q. What are the requirements when installing a 120V switch in the same box with a 277V switch?
Code Q&A
Q. Can I use 14 AWG conductor pigtails from a 12 AWG, 20A circuit so that I can backstab the wires to the receptacle?
Code Q&A
Q. I have a building that has two services from the utility. Do I have to use the same grounding system for both?
Code Quandaries
Q. Can I connect the neutral conductor to the equipment-grounding terminal at both the transformer and the first disconnect?
Article 600: Electric Signs and Outline Lighting 1
Every commercial occupancy needs a form of identification, the standard method of which is typically the electric sign. This is one reason why you'll be working with Art. 600 if you do much commercial or industrial work.
Code Q&A
Q. Can the lights in a dwelling unit bathroom be on the same circuit as the bathroom receptacles?
Code Q&A
Q. Can a 2-pole snap switch be used to switch a 277V and 120V circuit?
Code Quandaries
What are the requirements for installing isolated ground receptacles?
Electrical Testing Feed

EC&M Learning Center

Connect With Us

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×