Mike Holt

NEC Trainer / Consultant,
Mike Holt Enterprises

Mike earned a masters degree in the Business Administration Program (MBA) from the University of Miami. He earned his reputation as a National Electrical Code (NEC) expert by working his way up through the electrical trade. Formally a construction editor for two different trade publications, Mike started his career as an apprentice electrician and eventually became a master electrician, an electrical inspector, a contractor, and an educator. Since 1975, he has provided custom in-house seminars for groups such as IAEI, NECA, ICBO, IBM, AT&T, Motorola, and the U.S. Navy. Mike has taught more than 1,000 classes on 30 different electrical-related subjects — ranging from alarm installations to exam preparation and voltage drop calculations. He continues to develop seminars, videos, books, and software as well as contributing monthly Code content to EC&M magazine.

Code Q&A
Q. What are the requirements for grounding metal equipment racks supporting computer servers?
Code Q&A
Q. We are being told that we can’t use PVC conduit underground to provide power to the gasoline pumps we are wiring. Is this true?
Pools and Spas — Part 2 of 3
How to meet Art. 680 requirements for wiring pools and spas per the National Electrical Code (NEC)
Code Quandaries
Q. How does the Code address diesel fuel dispensers as they relate to hazardous locations?
Code Q&A
Q. I am hearing differing opinions about the requirements for bonding steel gas piping. What are the rules for this?
Code Q&A
Q. The old panels in an industrial building do not have complete panel schedules. Does the Code require us to update them?
Stumped by the Code? 2
Q. We have a 400A, 3-phase feeder that we want to wire with two parallel sets of 3/0 AWG conductors in the same raceway. Is this acceptable?
Pools and Spas — Part 1 of 3 1
If Art. 680 of the National Electrical Code (NEC) has one overriding concern, it's to keep people and water separated from electricity. Article 680 applies to pools, spas, hot tubs, fountains, and similar bodies of water.
Code Q&A
Q. Can the ground wire from a ground rod terminate in the meter socket enclosure, or must it terminate in the service disconnect?
Code Q&A
Q. What are the NEC lighting and switching requirements for stairways?
Electrical Services — Part 2
Looking at Fig. 230.1 in the NEC, we can see that the second and third major areas of Art. 230 provide requirements for service entrance conductors (Part
Stumped by the Code?
Q. What are the requirements for supporting communications raceways and cables above a suspended ceiling?
Top 2008 NEC Changes 1
The bonding rules for reducing voltage gradients around permanently installed pools, outdoor spas, or outdoor hot tubs were changed again. Here's a summary of the entire section. (A) Performance. Equipotential bonding is intended to reduce voltage ...
Code Q&A
Q. What are the AFCI protection requirements for dwelling units, and do these requirements apply to smoke alarms?
Code Q&A
Q. Does the code require GFCI-type receptacles anywhere, or can you use GFCI breakers for all required GFCI locations?
Electrical Testing Feed
Calpipe Contest
Join the Discussion on EC&M Talk

EC&M Learning Center

Connect With Us

Sponsored Introduction Continue on to (or wait seconds) ×