The Hazard Communication Standard (HCS)
The Hazard Communication Standard (HCS):
- Gives you the right to know the hazards of materials with which you work.
- Prescribes to employers their duties on your behalf.
- Provides information requirements for manufacturers (of hazardous materials).
Your role in HCS covers two areas:
- Training. Your employer is required to help you learn about any hazardous material you work with, including applicable emergency procedures.
- Reading. You're required to read product container labels and MSDS, but your reason for reading them should be to understand what the hazards are and how to protect yourself from them.