Under federal law, your employer must have a Hazard Communication document. This safety plan outlines employer's compliance with the federal Hazard Communication Standard (HCS). This document is worth reading. If a copy isn't on your employer's website or intranet, then ask your safety director for it. The document contains information such as:
- A listing of all hazardous materials used by your employer.
- How you can obtain MSDS information on those materials.
- Relevant protection, procedures, and emergency equipment.
- How your employer meets requirements for labeling, MSDS, and safety training.
- How supervisors must inform workers about the hazards of non-routine tasks.
- How you can obtain chemical hazard information from other employers nearby.